Buy and Hire Privacy Notice ("Notice")
Buy and Hire is the best online classified marketplace that offers various items buying, selling and hiring process. To provide you with the full range of Buy and Hire products and services, we need to collect and process certain information about you.
This Notice and our Cookies Policy apply to all visitors to and users of:
- the Buy and Hire website at www.buyandhire.ng (the "Website");
- any Buy and Hire website that links to this Notice and/or our Cookies Policy;
- Buy and Hire social media accounts;
It also applies to anyone contacting us by phone, SMS, email, in letters and other correspondence, in person and via social media.
If you are a dealer contracted with us, please see the privacy notice that is available via the Portal for information regarding the personal information we hold and use in order to provide your dealership with requested products and services.
For the purposes of this Notice, the data controller is Forerun Solutions International (registered in Nigeria under company registration number 3416678) and whose registered office address is at Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
References in this Policy to "Buy and Hire" also apply to its sister channels on this Website, including: Commercial Trader, Buy and Hire Bikes, Buy and Hire Trucks, Buy and Hire Plant, Buy and Hire Vans, Buy and Hire Farm, Buy and Hire Motorhomes, Buy and Hire Caravans and Prestige Cars "Top Marques".
If you have any questions regarding the use of your personal data please contact us at: [email protected]
Data Protection , Forerun Solutions International, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
Information collected by us and how we use it
To create an account, we will collect your email address and your chosen password. Once you have registered you can include further personal details in your account including your name and you can view your adverts, payment history and subscriptions with us. Where you log in via Facebook or another social media account, we may be provided with limited personal details (including your account ID and email address) to verify you are logged in. We will use your name and email address to send you communications about your account.
- Legitimate Interest
We use your name and email address to register your account and send you service communications about how to access and manage your account (available within the "My Account" section of the Website). You can access the "My Account" area at any time to update your details and can also change your options regarding marketing communications from Buy and Hire and/or third parties that you have selected in this area.
As part of the advert placement process on the Website, we collect your name, telephone number, email address and postcode, as well as details of the item you wish to sell or hire and device ID and IP address.
- Legitimate interest
- Legal Obligation
We use your name and email address to register your account and place your advert, confirm that your advert has been published and send you service communications about how to access and manage your account (available within the "My Account" section of the Website) and your advert. You can access the "My Account" area at any time to update your details and can also change your options regarding marketing communications from Buy and Hire and/or third parties that you have selected in this area.
We use your postcode and location to provide a positioning of the item you advertise within our database; this allows potential buyers to locate items for sale within a set radius of their chosen location. Your postcode is not disclosed in your advert.
If your advert expires we may contact you via phone or email to give you the option to rebook your advert.
We may also use the information you provide for internal business records and purposes, including to analyse and develop our products and services and the Website.
We use certain features in our advert placement process to protect the privacy of our customers when they are communicating with potential buyers via phone or email.
For customers placing a Private advert, we apply a Protect Your Number facility as a default on all adverts when customers provide their phone number. Protect Your Number enables you to keep your telephone number private by providing you with a substitute telephone number to use in your advert. You will need to contact our Customer Service team if you wish to remove this facility. Please be aware that if you opt out of using this facility, your telephone number will be visible within your advert.
For customers placing Private adverts, we also provide a customer to customer email service that allows Website visitors and potential buyers who view your advert to contact you via a link displayed on your advert, without disclosing your email address. We use this to disable any potential harmful links that may expose you to fraudulent activity. The use of the customer to customer email service is mandatory for us to maintain security of our Website. We reserve the right to monitor and retain all communications via the email service for security monitoring purposes.
You will also be required to supply payment card details to place your advert. We use third party payment providers to manage online card payment transactions. Payment card information is collected over a secure online payment gateway provided by:
All payment transactions processed are encrypted. Your payment card information is used solely to process payment for your advert. We retain no record of your payment card details.
Communicating with us
When you communicate with us, you may provide personal data to us such as your name, address, contact details, organisation details, dietary requirements. We will use this in order to deal with your communication.
- Legitimate interest
You may provide your personal data to us for one of the following reasons:
- To request information about advertising with Buy and Hire or about any of Buy and Hire's services;
- To make a complaint;
- To enquire about working with us whether the enquiry is made by you personally or on behalf of an organisation;
- To register for and/or attend an event; and/or
- To respond to a survey.
Using services on Buy and Hire
When using services on Buy and Hire you will need to provide certain personal information such as name, email address, telephone number and country and details regarding your item (including category, sub-category, brand, mileage, make and model) to enable us or a third party to provide you with the services requested. Depending on the service, this information may be passed to a third party.
Item Search facility - You will need to supply your country in order to use our item search facility. We will use this to present adverts matching your search criteria with the distance from your selected location.
All conversations and email exchanges are recorded. Any personal information that you disclose during a live chat or via an online form will be accessible to and processed by LivePerson Automotive, the Dealer with whom you communicate, and will be made available to Buy and Hire. Additionally, the Chat Service provider may use computer infrastructure which is situated outside of Africa. By using the Chat Service, you acknowledge and agree that any personal data disclosed by you while using the Chat Service will be processed and stored by the Chat Service provider on its systems outside Africa and protected by adequate safeguards.
Administration, development, monitoring of the website and services
To administer, maintain, develop and improve our Website and services, we use your contact details and details of your activity on the Website and interactions with us such as name, telephone number, email address and postcode, details of adverts you have published, details within the My Buy and Hire section of the Website and your interactions with us.
- Legitimate Interests
We will use your contact details such as name, telephone number, email address and postcode, details of adverts you have published, details with the "My Account" section of the Website and details of your activity on the Website and your interactions with us in order to:
- provide and administer the Website and related services and manage internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes, and to develop the Website and our products and services.
- generate an overall audience profile of visitors using the Website. We use this information to assist us in developing relevant content on the Website as well as encouraging trade advertisers to place adverts for their stock or promotions on the Website.
- provide customers who have opted-in to receive marketing communications, with relevant and timely offers by email (including where customers have supplied their insurance renewal date information and/or item ownership details).
- support our 'Send to Mobile' functionality. This allows visitors to our Website to send details of items for sale to their mobile phone.
- identify the location of visitors, to block disruptive or fraudulent use, to establish the number of visits from different countries.
The Legal Basis we rely on for processing your information
The legal basis
Under data protection laws, we are required to have a legal basis to process your personal information. We have set out below the legal bases we rely on:
- Contract: To perform a contract entered into with you and fulfil our contractual obligations to you or to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract. This processing is necessary for us to provide the service you have requested including registering and managing your account publishing your advert and providing service updates and our support services.
- Consent: To provide information and take actions in relation to services which you have opted-in to receive. This includes where you specifically request for your details to be passed onto a third party (e.g where you make an enquiry regarding a test drive or an item for sale or hire) or where you opt-in to receive relevant marketing communications from us (e.g. industry news and offers). For further information regarding consent please see below.
- Legal Obligation: Where processing is necessary to comply with our legal or statutory obligations. This may include cooperating with police in relation to their investigations.
- Legitimate interest: Where necessary for our legitimate interests or those of a third party. We rely on this basis in order to monitor and improve our Website, products and/or services, understand how visitors and customers use our Website, products and/or services, to personalise content provided to you, to deal with enquiries and complaints, undertake market research and inform our general marketing, to run our business and maintain the security or our Website and services for you, us and other Website visitors and customers.
Where consent is required for us or a dealer to process certain types of your personal data, it must be clearly given. You may give us your consent to receive our marketing communications and/or when you use the Website to request services provided by dealers.
Where you have given consent for Buy and Hire to process your personal data you may withdraw consent at any time by emailing [email protected]. We will cease processing your data based on that consent but this does not affect any processing we have undertaken at any time before withdrawal.
If you have given consent for your details to be passed to a dealer or other third party your data may already have been used by them to respond to your request before we can action your consent withdrawal. In this event, you will need to contact them to withdraw your consent to their use of your personal data.
Disclosure of your information
Buy and Hire will not pass on your personal data to third parties except as set out in this Notice or with your consent. We may disclose your personal information to third parties for the following purpose(s) and in the following circumstances as part of our processing activities:
- We will send your personal information to dealers, manufacturers, and relevant third parties to enable them to provide you with the services and products that you have requested or consented to receive details of via the Website or the Apps. In certain circumstances, manufacturers and other relevant third parties may subsequently transfer, process and store your personal information outside of africa for their business and administration purposes. in accordance with their own privacy policies. If you have queries or require more information on how these third parties use information, including transfers outside of the Africa, please read their privacy policies or contact them.
- We may use service providers to help us run the Website or services available on the Website, some of whom may be based outside Africa. Some of our webpages use plugins from third party platforms (such as the 'Facebook Recommend' or 'Facebook Gestures' function). Information about your visit to the Website may be collected by these third-party providers on these pages. If you browse these pages whilst still also logged in to your account on the third-party platform, information collected by the third party may be connected to your account on the third party platform. If you have queries or require more information on how these third parties use information, including transfers outside of Africa, please read their privacy policies or contact them.
- Where we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information with a third party in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce our terms and conditions and any other agreements.
- If we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case Buy and Hire may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- We may share your personal information with our group companies.
- We may share any information that we collect with parties including: our legal and professional advisors, the police, other public or private sector agencies, governmental or representative bodies (which may include insurance companies, finance companies, advertising companies and/or other agencies) in accordance with the relevant legislation for the purposes of the prevention or detection of offences, and/or the apprehension or prosecution of offenders.
- You acknowledge that we have a legitimate business interest in preventing the use of our platform or services in any manner that may facilitate fraudulent activity or deny consumers of their legal rights under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 or the Consumer Rights Act 2015. We may share any information that we collect about you or the items that you advertise for sale on our platform with third parties or their legal representatives to the extent necessary to prevent fraud or any adverse effect to those third parties consumer rights.
We are not responsible for any use of your personal data by these parties except where they act as our processor.
Where we store your personal data
Buy and Hire will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Policy. All information you provide to us is stored securely within the OAU, and not transferred outside Africa unless specifically detailed in this Policy.
Payment card information, details you provide when requesting dealer or other third party services through the Website and information you provide when using the Chat Service is handled in accordance with the relevant service providers’ privacy policies and may be transferred and stored or processed by them outside of Africa in accordance with their privacy policies.
Where we transfer your data outside of Africa, we will ensure that safeguards are in place to provide similar degree of protection is available to protect it. This may include contractual protections in place with our service providers or transferring your data to countries or parties which are recognised as providing suitable protection by the Organisation of African Unity.
Certain parties to whom we disclose your personal data may transfer your data outside of Africa after we disclose it to them as part of their business and administration activities (see above, Disclosure of your information). We are not responsible for any use of your personal data by these parties except where they act as our processor. If you have queries or require more information on how these third parties use your information, including such transfers outside of Africa, please read their privacy policies or contact them.
Buy and Hire uses strict procedures and security features designed to prevent any unauthorised access to your data that we hold.
How long we keep your personal dataBuy and Hire will process personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose we collected it for, including the purpose of legal, accounting and reporting requirements, and for as long as necessary for the prevention and detection of criminal activity.
The period for which we process and store the personal data for varies depending on the use you make of the Website and the products and/or services we offer. Where you register an account or place an advert we will retain your data for as long as your account and/or advert is live and a period after your account is closed or advert ends to enable us to satisfy our legal, accounting and reporting requirements.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your data: see Right to be forgotten below for further information.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Your rights are a data subject
Under data protection law, you have the following rights:
- Erasure/Right to be forgotten
- Restrict processing
- Object to processing
Some of these rights may not always apply. You can read more about your rights below.
You may be able to exercise the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. In the event that Buy and Hire refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right or erasure/ to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restrict processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – in certain circumstances you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing, automated processing or profiling.
- Right to complain to the supervisory authority – you have the right to complain as outlined in Section 8 below.
If you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by Buy and Hire (or third parties as described above), or how your complaint has been handled, in the first instance please email your concerns to [email protected].
You also have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the UK supervisory authority which is the Information Commissioner’s Office and can be contacted via the details at www.ico.org.uk.
What is an Accessibility statement?
This is the official accessibility statement for Buy and Hire. If you have any comments or suggestions, please email us via [email protected]
All pages on this site are WCAG A approved, complying with all priority 1 and most of priority 2 guidelines of the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. This is a judgement call; many guidelines are intentionally vague and cannot be tested automatically. Buy and Hire has reviewed the guidelines and believes all pages are in compliance (please see point 5).
We aim for the pages on this site to validate as XHTML 1.0 Transitional. A program of work is in progress to move to XHTML 1.0 Strict for our top 10 pages within the year.
Most pages on this site use Valid CSS.
We are aiming for pages on this site use structured semantic mark-up. H1 tags are used for main titles, H2 tags for subtitles.
Applications other than at the following address "www.buyandhire.ng" may not be standards compliant, but are constantly under review and in the process of being updated for accessibility.
Buy and Hire does not currently support Access keys, although this will be implemented in the future when we will support full WCAG AAA guidelines.
You can also use the Tab key on your keyboard to move between links on a page. A single press of Tab high-lights the next link, Shift+Tab high-lights the previous link.
Many links have title attributes which describe the link in greater detail, unless the text of the link already fully describes the target (such as the headline of an article)
Links are written to make sense out of context
All content images used in this site include descriptive ALT attributes. Purely decorative graphics currently include empty ALT attributes.
Complex images include TITLE attributes or inline descriptions to explain the significance of each image to non-visual readers
This site uses cascading style sheets and progressive enhancement for visual layout
This site uses only relative font sizes, compatible with the user-specified "text size" option in visual browsers.
- W3 accessibility guidelines explains the reasons behind each guideline
- W3 accessibility techniques explains how to implement each guideline
- W3 accessibility checklist a busy developer's guide to accessibility
- U.S. Federal Government Section 508 accessibility guidelines
Access to Website
Access to our Website is permitted on a temporary basis, and we reserve the right to withdraw or amend the service we provide on our Website without notice (see below). We will not be liable if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
From time to time, we may restrict access to some parts of our Website, or our entire Website, to users who have registered with us.
By using the Website to search for items, you agree that you will only use, reproduce and print materials comprising the results of such searches for your own personal, non-commercial purposes. You must only use the contact details provided by private advertisers to contact them in connection with a genuine enquiry relating to the purchase of the item in question.
Pages contained in the Website may contain technical inaccuracies and typographical errors. The information in these pages may be updated from time to time and may at times be out of date. We do not accept responsibility for keeping the information up to date or liability for any failure to do so.
The material on the Website is only for information purposes. It does not constitute advice and you should not rely on any material on the Website to make (or refrain from making) any decision or take (or refrain from taking) any action.
The Website contains material submitted and created by private and trade dealers and other third parties. We exclude all liability for any illegality arising from or error, omission or inaccuracy in such material.
We give no warranties, conditions, guarantees or representations, express or implied, as to:-
the completeness or accuracy of the advice and information contained on the Website or any associated website;
the content of the advertisements for items included in our database, including but not limited to the ownership, quality, authenticity of a item or the content more generally including any photographs, compliance with description or fitness for purpose of any such items. Whilst we use reasonable efforts to identify and remove fraudulent advertisements, we cannot guarantee to identify all fraudulent advertisements on the Website.
the results of any search of our database or circumstances where there is a limited number of items selected by the search on our database which might meet the searcher's requirements.
The Website publishes advertisements placed by third parties to advertise their items and other goods and/or services. We do not own the items or goods advertised for sale on the Website and have no liability for these or for any losses that you may incur as a result of purchasing a item, goods and/or any services advertised by third parties. If you choose to purchase an item, goods and/or services advertised for sale by third parties on the Website, the contract will be between you and the third party advertiser and not with us. You are responsible for taking steps to safeguard you and your money before contacting a seller and/or making a purchase. Advice on buying a car safely is provided here. If you see anything suspicious please or believe an advertisement to be fraudulent, please report it to us immediately so we can investigate.
Copyright and trade marks
All rights, including copyright, in the content of the web pages, in the photographs of any item displayed on the Website and all database rights in our database of items, are owned or controlled for these purposes by us.
All trademarks, names and logos are the proprietary marks of Buy and Hire or of our associated companies. Marks identifying third parties are owned or licensed by those third parties or their associated companies. No conditions within these terms use confers on you any licence or right under any trademarks, names or logos.
Any information belonging to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (“DVLA”) which is made available on the Website (“DVLA Information”) is made available for your personal use only whilst visiting the Website. You agree not to use the DVLA Information for any commercial or business purposes. You may print one copy of the DVLA Information for future reference but you must not otherwise reproduce or redistribute the DVLA Information (whether on its own or as a component part of any other product, service or material). You agree that you will not use the DVLA Information for any unlawful purposes or in a way which infringes the intellectual property rights of the DVLA or any other third party.
To the extent permitted by law, we, other members of our group of companies and third parties connected to us hereby expressly exclude:
All conditions, warranties and other terms which might otherwise by implied by statute.
Any liability for a direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage incurred by any user in connection with our Website or in connection with the use, inability to use, or results of the use of our Website, any websites linked to it and any materials posted on it, including without limitation any liability for:
Loss of income or revenue;
loss of business;
loss of profits or contracts;
loss of anticipated savings;
loss of data;
loss of goodwill;
wasted management or office time; and
for any other loss or damage of any kind, howsoever arising and whether caused by tort (including negligence), breach of contract or otherwise, even if foreseeable.
This does not affect our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, nor our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation or misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter, nor any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
We will need to carry out routine maintenance and servicing of our servers and equipment from time to time. While we will seek to keep disruption to a minimum we cannot guarantee that the Website will be continuously available on-line. We therefore provide the Website on an "as is" and "as available" basis.
We make no warranty that the Website ( or associated Websites) is free from computer viruses or any other malicious or impairing computer programs. It is your responsibility to ensure that you use appropriate virus checking software.
Links to non-Buy and Hire sites
The Website contains hypertext links to websites that are not operated by us or by our associated companies. We do not control such websites and are not responsible for their content. Our inclusion of hypertext links to such websites does not imply any endorsement of the material contained on the websites or of the owners.
Links to the Website
You may establish a hypertext link to the home page of the Website, without the need for our written consent, provided there is no implied endorsement or sponsorship of you, your company or your website by us
The checks are provided for your personal use only. You agree not to use the checks for any commercial or business purposes. You may print one copy of the check for future reference but you must not otherwise reproduce or redistribute the check. You agree that you will not use the checks for any unlawful purposes or in a way which infringes the intellectual property rights of Experian or any other third party.
The checks are provided for information purposes only. They do not constitute advice and you should not rely on the checks to make any decision or take any action. Neither us nor Experian give any warranties, conditions, guarantees or representations (express or implied) as to the completeness or accuracy of the checks. To the extent permitted by law, we and Experian exclude any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage incurred by any user in connection with a check.
The word “EXPERIAN” and certain other words and images are trademarks of Experian Limited and/or its associated companies and may be registered in the EU, USA and other countries.
Our services are not suitable for those under sixteen years of age and, as such, by using our Website you represent that you are at least sixteen years of age. Persons who are at least sixteen years of age but under the age of eighteen years of age may only use the Website with legal parental or guardian consent.
All correspondence relating to the Website should be sent to:
- Forerun Solutions International,
- 19 Farm Road, Eliozu
- Port Harcourt,
- Rivers State
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: +2347053911486
- Monday - Friday: 8am - 5pm
Registered office: Forerun Solutions International, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
Registered in Nigeria with company registration number 3416678. VAT number: 24760496-0001